Ergativity in Kurdish Language
This study deals with the ergativity in Kurdish Language, since the ergativity is a case system and within a case system, languages can be classified into "accusative" "ergative" and "active" according to how they mark the core arguments in a clause. The objective of this study to find out the phenomenon of ergativity status as a case system in the Kurdish language.
First of all, the study presents transitivity in Kurdish language, and then it explains case systems in which it identifies ergative, accusative and active languages. After this the study illustrates case marking which is divided into three types; case endings, markedness of pronouns and markedness of clitics which are the core topics to examine Kurdish 'language, particularly the Hawler subdialect comparing with sulemani subdialect and Northern Kurmanji (NK) dialect to indicate split-ergativity and clitic movement in Hawler subdialect. Then the study presents the criteria to test ergativity such as Equi-deletion, raising rules and causative. At the end it presents the conclusion and bibliography.
• Barwari, M. S. Abdulla (2004) Topics in GB Theory, with Reference to English and Kurdish.Unpublished Dissertation. Salahaddin University- Bawler.
• Chomskey (1981) Lectures on Government and Binding. Dordrech: F oris.
• Dixon, Robert M.W. (1979) Ergativity. Language 55,59- 138.
• ( 2002) Ergativity(Cambridge Studies In
Linguistics69) Cambridge University press.
• Friend, Robyn Chrisine (1985) Ergativity in Sulemaniye Kurdish.
In MESA Conference, 1985.
• Jukil,Ali, M(2000). " Transitivity of Verbs in Kurdish" Zanko, The Journal of Humanity Science,2008, No10. Salahaddin University- Hawler. Erbil, KR,Iraq.
• ---------------- &Ali Yousif (2008) "Case Theory in Kurdish" Zanko, The Journal of Humanity Science2008, No.37. Salahaddin University- Hawler. Erbil, KR,Iraq.
• -------------------------------------(2011)."Equi-NP Deletion or Big PRO" Zanko, The Journal of Humanity Science2011, No.40. Salahaddin University- Hawler. Erbil, KR,Iraq.
• Nabaz, Jamal (1976) uaraw Zimani Yekgirtuy Kurdi; "Towards a unified Kurdish Language". Bambery: W. Germany.
• Tallerman, Maggie (1998) Understanding Syntax. London; Arnold.
- There are currently no refbacks.
Department of Scientific Publication Office: The Central Library of Salahaddin University-Erbil, Kirkuk Road, Erbil, Kurdistan, Iraq. Phone:+964 (0)66 2580274, email: email@example.com. www.su.edu.krd, www.zancojournals.su.edu.krd
Copyright and Reprint Permission: It is the policy of ZANCO to own the copyright to the technical contributions it publishes and to facilitate the appropriate reuse of this material by others. Photocopying is permitted with credit to the source for individuals for individual use. All ZANCO Journals are Open Access Journals.
Copyright © 2015 . All Rights Reserved. Salahaddin University - Erbil