Main Article Content
AC electric field, 3 cowpea cultivars, seed germination, seedling growth
The experiment was carried out during three weeks with San Martin, Gabs ton and West hillier cultivars of cowpea(Vigna unguiculata L.), seeds were exposed to 12V direct current (DC) electrical field in different exposure periods (0, 10, 20 and 40 minutes) before seed sowing. Generally, the best results were obtained from 20 min. exposure to DC electrical field of all studied cultivars, however, highest root characteristics except root dry weight obtained from control treatment. The highest germination percentage was in Gabs ton cultivar when exposed to DC electrical field for 20 min., and for the shoot length, shoot elongation speed/plant were obtained from two treatments (gaps ton cultivar without seed exposure to DC electrical field and with 20 min. exposure period). However the best root dry weight obtained from the seedlings of San martin cultivar when exposed to DC electrical field for 10min. The results shows that exposure of (Vigna unguiculata L.) seeds to (DC) electric (12V) improved germination percentage and seedlings vegetative growth.
- BRATTON, B. O. and E. W., HENRY (1977) Electrical stimulation and its effects on indole acetic acid and peroxidase levels in tomato plants (Lycopersicon esculentum). J. Experimental Botany, 28(103), p.338-344.
-DANNEHL, D., KEIL, S.H., EICHHOLZ, I., ULRICHS, C. and SCHMIDT, U. (2009) Effects of the intermittent-direct-electric-current (IDC) on polyphenols and antioxidant activity in radish (Raphanus sativus L.) during growth. J. of Applied Botany and Food Quality 83, p. 54-59.
-DIPROSE, M.F. and BENSON, F.A. (2013) The effect of externally applied electrostatic fields, microwave radiation and electric currents on plants and other organisms, with special reference to weed control, Jester terms and conditions. http://www.jstor.org/page/ info/about/policies/terms.jsp
- GABDRAKHMANOVA, D. and QUSSINY, C. (2011). The effect of a direct electric current on the germination of seeds and growth of seedlings. http://cssf.usc.edu/History/2011/ Projects/S1905.
- GANDHARE, W. Z. and PATWARDHAN M. S., (2014). A new approach of electric field adoption for germination improvement. J. of Power and Energy Engineering. http://www.scirp.org/journal/jpee
- GUI, Z., PIRAS, A. , QIAO, L., GUI, K. and WANG, B. (2013) Improving germination of seeds soaked ga3 by electrostatic field treatment. International J. of Recent Tec. and Eng. 2(1), p.133-136.
- KABULULU, M. S. (2008). Cowpea (Vigna unguiculata) variety mixtures for stable and optimal leaf and seed yields when intercropped with maize in Central Tanzania. MSc. thesis, Faculty of Agricultural Sciences Georg-August-University of Göttingen, Germany.
-LYNIKIENE, S and POZELIENE, A. ( 2003) Effect of electrical field on barley seed germination stimulation, Agricultural engineering international. J. of Scientific Research and Development, p.1-8.
- LYNIKIENE, S., POZELIENE, A. and RUTKAUSKAS, G. (2006) Influence of corona discharge field on seed viability and dynamics of germination. International Agrophysics J., 20, p.195-200.
- MOON, J.D. and CHUNG H.S. (2000) Acceleration of germination of tomato seed by applying AC electric and magnetic fields. J. of Electrostatics 48, p.13-114.
- MOUSAVIZADE, S. J., SEDAGHATHOR, SH., RAHIMI, A. and MOHAMMADI, H. (2013) Germination parameters and peroxidase activity of lettuce seed under stationary magnetic field. International J. of Biosciences. 3 (4), p.199-207.
- MUSTAFAYEV, S., EFE, L., and KILLI, F. (2001) The effect of shocking treatment on cotton seeds before sowing by electrical current on cotton (Gossypium hirsutum l.) stickiness and some fiber traits under Kahramanmaras conditions. Lille, France, Technical report, p..75-80.
- SAS (2005) Statistical analysis system Institute, Cary NC, USA.
- SHEPHERD, V. A.( 2012) At the roots of plant neurobiology: a brief history of the biophysical research of J. C. Bose, 210 Science And Culture, p.169-210.