Assessing Shekh Turab Water Resources for Irrigation Purposes by Using Water Quality Index
An Attempt was made to analyze the water quality of ShekhTurab stream for irrigation purpose. Water samples were collected from 5 sampling sites with two replications for each during July and November 2016. Studied samples were analyzed for electrical conductivity (EC), sodium adsorption ratio (SAR), sodium (Na+1), chloride (Cl-1) and bicarbonate (HCO3-1) contents. The results showed that the values of (IWQI) ranged from (41.11) to (53.65) and all sites were fall within the 4thcategory ‘‘high restriction’’, it is clear that the plants have moderate resistance to salts might be grown in July and should be avoided its use for irrigation under normal conditions and only plants with high salt tolerance in November. Based on the obtained results, it is recommended to avoid grow salts sensitive plants to increase agricultural productivity in the study area.
• Abdul Hameed, M.; Jawad .A; Maulood .B .K. andAbass J. K.(2010b).Evaluating Raw and Treated Water Quality of Tigris River within Baghdad by Index Analysis. J. Water Resource and Protection, 2, 629-635.
• Abdul Jabbar K. (2010). "A proposed Index of Water Quality Assessment for Irrigation" Eng. &Tech.Journal, Vol. (28), No. (22).
• Abdulkider, A. M. (2013). Assessment of water quality of al- husseinieh river / karbala governorate / Iraq for irrigation purpose by using water quality index. Journal of AL- Taqani, Vol. 26, No 5: 1-15.
• APHA (American Public Health Association). (2005). Standard Methods for Examination of Water and Wastewater.21st Edition.APHA, Washington DC.
• Ayers, R. S. andWestcot, D. W. (1985). Water quality for agriculture", FAO Irrigation and Drainage Paper No. (29), Rev.(1), U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization, Rome.
• Bartram, J. and Balance, R. (1996). Water Quality Monitoring (a practical guide to the design and implementation of freshwater quality studies and monitoring).E and FN Spon, an imprint of Chapman and Hall. London. U.K. 383pp.
• Brouwer,C. M. Irrigation Water Management: Training Manual No.1-Introduction to Irrigation", chapter (7), 1985. http://www.fao.org/docrep/R4082E00.htm
• Gheyi, H. R. (2000). Problemas de salinidadenaagriculturairrigada. In: Oliveira, T. S.; Assisjúnior, R. N.; Romero, R. E.; Silva, J. R. C. Agricultura, Sustentabilidade e o Semi- Árido. Fortaleza: UFC; Viçosa: SociedadeBrasileira de Ciências do Solo, 2000. p. 329-356.
• Holanda, J. S. and Amorim, J. A. (1997). Manejo e controle da salinidade da aguanaagriculturairrigada. In: CongressoBrasileiro de EngenhariaAgricola, 26, Campina Grande. Anais... Campina Grande: SBEA, pp. (137-169).
• Horton, R.R. (1965).An index number system for rating water quality. J. Wat. Pollut.Control.Fed. 37: 300-306. In Iraq.Jordan J of Biological Sciences.Vol3 (3): 115-120.
• Lashari, K. H.; Korai A. L.; Sahato G. A. and Kazi, T. G. (2009).Limnological Studies of Keenjhar Lake, District, Thatta, Sindh, Pakistan. Pak. J. Anal. Environ. Chem. 10(1-2): 39-47.
• Maulood, B. K.; Hinton G.C. F. and Al-Dosky, H.S. (1980). A study on the blue –green algalflora of Erbil province, Iraq. Zanco (Sci.J. Univ. of Sulaimaniya, Iraq), Series A, 6(2): 67-90.
• Meireles, A .C .M. E. M.; Andrade, L. C. G.; Chaves, H. F. and Crisostomo, L. A. (2010). A new proposal of the classification of irrigation water.J.RevistaCienciaAgronomica. 41(3):349-357. Centro de CienciasAgrarias - Universidade Federal do Ceara, Fortaleza, CE.
• Mohammed, M. N. (2011).Assessment of Tigris River by using Quality Index for Irrigation purpose. European Journal of Scientific Research, ISSN 1450-216 X, Vol. (57), No.(1),PP.(15-28), , http://www.earo journals.com /ejsr.htm.
• Mortetha, J. I. "Qualitative Analysis and the Concentration of Salts and Ions for the Waters of Al Razaza Lake", Journal of Karbala University Vol. (14), No. (3), 2006.
• Mustapha, M.K. and Osmotosho, J.S. (2005).An assessment of the physico-chemical properties of Omoro Lake. African Journal of Applied Zoology and Environmental Biology.7: 73-77.
• Razoska, J. Euphrates and Tigris, mesopotamion ecology and destiny, Vol: 38. Monogr.Biol .W. Junk.The Hague-Boston, London.122pp (1980).
• Shalhevet, J. and Kamburov, J. (1976). Irrigation and salinity: A world-wide survey. New Delhi, Caxton Press. 106p.
• Shekha,Y.A. and Al- Abaychi, J.(2010).Use of water quality index and dissolved oxygen saturation as indicators.
• Talukder,MS.U.,Shirazi, SM. and Paul, U.K (1998). Suitability of Groundwater for Irrigation at KirimganjUpazilaKishoreganj. Progress Agric. 9:107-112.
• Toma, J. J.; Assad, Z. S. and Baez, D. R. (2013).Water Quality Assessment of Some Well Water in Erbil City by Quality index, Kurdistan Region-Iraq.Journal of Advanced Laboratory Research in Biology. Volume IV, Issue IV: 125-130.
• Toma, J.J. (2012).Water quality index for assessment of water quality of Duhok Lake, Kurdistan region of Iraq. J. Adv. Lab. Res. Bio. Vol. 3 (2):142-147.
• Wetzel, R.G. (1983). Limnology. W.B. Saunders. Co. 741pp.
• Zohary, M. (1950). The flora of Iraq and its phytogeographicalsubdivisions. Dept. Agr. Iraq.Publ. 31: 1-201.
Copyright (c) 2018 Nihal S. Hanna, Faris Z. Jarjes, Janan J. Toma
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
At Zanco Journal, we're dedicated to protecting your rights as an author, and ensuring that any and all legal information and copyright regulations are addressed. Whether an author is published with Zanco Journal or any other publisher, we hold ourselves and our colleagues to the highest standards of ethics, responsibility and legal obligation