Study of Helminthes in Glyptothorax kurdistanicus (Actinopterygii: Sisoridae) in Greater Zab and Lesser Zab Rivers, Kurdistan Region, Iraq
During April 2017 to the end of September 2017, a total of 34 Glyptothorax kurdistanicus were captured from Greater Zab River near Aski-Kalak Town, south east of Erbil City and some watersheds of Sharbazher area northeast of Sulaimani City, Kurdistan Region, Iraq. The study revealed the existence of five species of helminthes including two species of metacercaria of trematodes (Clinostomum complanatum, Diplostomum spathaceum), one species of cestode (Ligula intestinalis), one species of nematode (Procamallanus viviparous), and one species of acanthocephalan (Pomphoryhnchus spindletrucatus). Glyptothorax kurdistanicus in the present study is considered as a new host for all recorded parasitic helminthes in Iraq. Full description, prevalence and mean intensity of infection of these parasites were demonstrated in the present study.
2. J. Dhole, S. Jawale, S. Waghmare and R. Chavan, Survey of helminth parasites in freshwater fishes from Marathwada region, MS, India. Journal of Fisheries and Aquaculture, 1(1): 1-7 (2010).
3. L. S. Roberts, and J. Janovy, Foundation of Parasitology, 5th ed., p. 482. WMC, Brown, London (1996).
4. C. P. Read, Animal Parasitism, p. 265. Inc., Englwood Cliffs, New Jersey (1992).
5. B. W. Coad, Freshwater fishes of Iraq. Pensoft Publisher, Sofia-Moscow (2010).
6. R. Froese and D. Pauly, FishBase. World Wide Web electronic publication (2016), www.fishbase.org, 8/2016.
7. T. Scholz, Amphilinida and cestoda, parasites of fish in Czechoslovakia., Acta Scientiarum Naturalium Universitatis Brno 23(4): 1-56 (1989).
8. M. Barson1 and BE. Marshall, The occurrence of the tapeworm, Ligula intestinalis (L.), in Barbus paludinosus from a small dam in Zimbabwe. African Journal of Aquatic Science, 28(2): 1–4 (2003).
9. F. Moravec and T. Yooyen, Two new species of Rhabdochona (Nematoda: Rhabdochonidae) from freshwater fishes in Thailand. Folia Parasitologica, 58(3): 224–232 (2011).
10. V. L. Olmos and E. M. Habit, A new species of Pomphorhynchus (Acanthocephala: Palaeacanthocephala) in freshwater fishes from central Chile. Journal of Parasitology, 93(1): 179–183 (2007).
11. L. Margolis, G. W. Esch, J. C. Holmes, A. M. Kuris and G.A Schad, The use of ecological terms in parasitology (Report of an adhoc committee of the American Society of Parasitologists). Journal of Parasitology, 68(1): 131-133 (1982).
12. N. R. Khamees, Study of the parasites of Carasobarbus luteus (Heckel), Liza abu(Heckel) and Aspius vorax Heckel from Mehaijeran canal, south of Basrah. M.Sc . thesis, Coll. Agric., Univ. Basrah, (In Arabic), 1983.
13. F. T. Mhaisen, Index-catalogue of parasites and disease agents of fishes of Iraq. Unpuble. (Personal communication), 2016.
14. B. A-R. Ali, Studies on parasites of some freshwater fishes from Greater Zab- Iski-Kalak. M.Sc. thesis, Coll. Sci., Univ. Salahaddin, (In Arabic), 1989.
15. S. M. A. Abdullah, Survey of the parasites of fishes from Dokan lake. M.Sc. thesis, Coll. Sci., Univ. Salahaddin, (In Arabic), 1990.
16. S. M. A. Abdullah, Ecology, taxonomy and biology of some parasites of fishes from Lesser Zab and Greater Zab rivers in north of Iraq. Ph.D. dissertation, Coll. Educ. (Ibn Al-Haitham), Univ. Baghdad, (In Arabic), 2002.
17. N. M. Ali, A. R. Al-Jafery and K. N. Abdul-Ameer, Parasitic fauna of freshwater fishes in Diyala river, Iraq. Journal of Biological Sciences Research. 18(1): 163-181, (1987a).
18. N. M. Ali, E. S. Abul-Eis and K. N. Abdul-Ameer, Study on the parasites of common carp Cyprinus carpio and other freshwater fishes in Habbaniyah lake, Iraq. Journal of Biological Sciences Research. 19(2): 395-407, (1988).
19. Z. I. Al-Hassani, Occurrence of two known helminthic parasites in two vertebrate hosts collected from Basrah, Iraq. Dirasat., 12(7): 25, (1985).
20. S. M. A. Abdullah and A-R. A-M. Rasheed, Parasitic fauna of some freshwater fishes from Dokan lake, north of Iraq. Ibn Al-Haitham Journal for pure and applied Science. 17(5): 1-12, (2004).
21. N. M. Ali, N. E. Salih and K. N. Abdul-Ameer, Parasitic fauna of some freshwater fishes from Tigris river, Baghdad, Iraq. IV: Nematoda. Journal of Biological Sciences Research. 18(3): 35-45, (1987b).
22. S. K. Bashě and S. M. A. Abdullah, Parasitic fauna of spiny eel Mastacembelus mastacembelus from Greater Zab river in Iraq. Iranian Journal of Veterinary Research. 11(1): 18-27, (2010).
23. A. A. Shwani and S. M. A. Abdullah, Endoparasites of the Asian catfish Silurus triostegus (Heckel, 1843) from Greater Zab river- Kurdistan Region- Iraq. Journal of Duhok University. (Special Issue), 13(1): 172-179, (2010).
24. O. M. Amin, S. M. A. Abdullah and F. T. Mhaisen, Description of Pomphorhynchus spindletruncatus n. sp. (Acanthocephala: Pomphorhynchidae) from freshwater fishes in northern Iraq, with the erection of a new pomphorhynchid genus, Pyriproboscis n. g., and keys to genera of the Pomphorhynchidae and the species of Pomphorhynchus Monticelli, 1905. Systematics Parasitology. 54: 229-235, (2003).
Copyright (c) 2019 Younis S. Abdullah, Samir J. Bila, Shwan K. Rahman, Shamall M. A. Abdullah
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
At Zanco Journal, we're dedicated to protecting your rights as an author, and ensuring that any and all legal information and copyright regulations are addressed. Whether an author is published with Zanco Journal or any other publisher, we hold ourselves and our colleagues to the highest standards of ethics, responsibility and legal obligation