Effects of Potassium and Magnesium on Some Hematological Profiles in Two Kidney, One Clip- Hypertensive and Normotensive Rats
AbstractIn the current study the effects potassium and magnesium ions administration on blood parameters in 2-kidney one clip (2K1C) hypertensive and normotensive rats were investigated. Seventy male albino rats were separated into two experiments. The first experiment was performed to test the effects of potassium and magnesium on some haematological parameters included blood cell count, and platelet (PLT) indices in 2K1C hypertensive rats. The second experiment was done on the normotensive rats measuring the same parameters in the first experiment. The high blood pressure of 2K1C resulted in a significant elevation in RBCs, hemoglobin (HGB), WBCs count, granulocytes, monocytes and PLT count, while; statistical analysis showed a significant decrease in mean platelet volume (MPV) in 2K1C group. Moreover, non-significant changes were observed in other blood parameters in 2K1C hypertensive rats. Supplementation of potassium decreased RBCs count, hematocrit (HCT), WBCs count, granulocytes, monocytes and PLT count. While it had non-significant effect in HGB, mean corpuscular volume (MCV), mean corpuscular hemoglobin (MCH), lymphocytes, MPV and PDW. Magnesium alone and in combination with potassium caused not significant changes in RBCs, HGB, MCV, MCH, lymphocytes, MPV and MDW, while, significant decreases were recorded in granulocytes, monocytes and PLT in comparison to 2K1C rats. In the second experiment, potassium alone and in combination with magnesium caused no significant differences in RBCs, HGB, HCT, MCV and MCH, wearers, RBCs, HGB and HCT were elevated by magnesium supplementation. On the other hand, anon-significant changes were noticed MCV and MCH level in magnesium treated rat group. Also, non-significant differences were recorded among the experimental groups in WBCs, granulocytes, lymphocytes, and monocytes, PLT, MPV and PDW. Using magnesium and potassium ions supplementation alone or their combinations could improve the elevated WBCs, RBCs and PLTs counts in 2K1C hypertensive rats.
2. Valahakos, D.V. Marathias, K.P. Agroyannis, B. and Madias, N.E. 2003. Posttransplant erythropoisis, Kidney International, Vol. 63, 1187–1194.
3. Tzy-Haw, W. Kuo-Liong, C. Hung-Ju, L. Hsiu-Ching, H. Ta-Chen, S. Ming-Fong, C.H. Yuan-The, L. 2013. Total white blood cell count or neutrophil count predict ischemic stroke events among adult Taiwanese:report from a community-based cohort, BMC, Neurology, 13:7, 1-8.
4. Schattner, M. Pozner, R.G. Engelberger, A. Gofrostizaga, A. Maugeri, N. Gomez, R. Pasqulani, A. Torres, O. and Lazzari, M. 2001. Effects of nitric oxide on megakaryocyte growth induced by thrombopoietin, .J Lab Clin Med, 137(4), 261-269.
5. Ruiz- Ortega, M. Lorenzo, O. Suzuki, Y. Ruperez, M and Egpido, j. 2001. proinflammatory action of angiotensin, Currn Opin Nephrol Hypertens, 10, 321-329.
6. Lucia De, F. Dora, B. Frederic, G. Gil, T, Therese, C. Seth, A. Orah, P. Yves, B. and Carlo, B. 1997. Oral magnesium supplementats reduce erythrocyte dehydration in patients with sckle cell disease, the American Society for Clinical Investigation, 100, 7, 1847–1852.
7. Kido, M. Ando, K. Maristela, L. Tojo, O. Yoshikawa, M. Ogita, T. and Fujita, T. 2007. Protective effect of dietary potassium against vascular injury in salt-sensitive hypertension, hypertension, 51, 1-8.
8. Effects of magnesim supplementation on blood parameters of athelettes, Biological Trace Element Research, Vol, 115.
9. Cole, J. Ertoy, D. Lin, H. Suttlif, R.L. Ezan, E. Guyene, T.T. Capecchi, M. Coryo, P. and Bernistin, K.E. (2000). Lach of angiotensin II facilitated erythropoiesis causes anemia in angiotensin –converting enzyme-defiecient mice, J Cin Invest, 106, (11), 1391-1398.
10. Pawlak, j. Dzięcioł, j. Mantur, j. Pawlak, D. (2008). Megakaryocytes and platelets in experimentally induced renovascular hypertension (2K1C) in rats, Postepy Hig Med Dosw, 62, 241-248.
11. Martinez-Maldonado M, (1991). Pathophysiology of renovascular hypertension, Hypertension, 17(5), 707-719.
12. Mogielnicki, A. Chabielska, E. Pawlk, R. Szemraj, J. Buczko, W. 2005. Angiotensin II enhances thrombosis development in renovascular hypertensive rats, thrombHaemost, 93(6), 1069-76.
13. Jelenic, D.j.B. 1971. Potassium in biochemistry, International Potash Institute.
14. Suzuki, H. Kondo, K. and Saruta, T. 1981. Effect of potassium chloride on the blood pressure in two-kidney, one clip goldblat hypertensive rats, Hypertension, 3, 566-573.
15. Jeng, M. Hsu, R. Paleker, A.G. 1982. Role of magnesium in glutathione metabolism of rat erythrocytes, J. Nutr, 112, 488-496, 198.
16. Cotter, J.L. Vandongen, R. Burton, D.L. and Sturm, M.J. 1990. Platelet activating factor and one-kidney, one clip hypertension, Hypertension,15, 628-632.
17. Oiner, C.H. 1993. Transport and volume regulation in sickle cell red blood cells, Am. J. Physiol, (Cell Physiol. 33), 264, C251–C270.
18. Marrero, M.B. 1995. Direct stimulation of JAK/STAT pathway by the angiotensin II AT1 receptor, Nature. 375, 247–250.
19. Laird, K. Swindle, M. Fleckneell, P. 1996. Rodent and rabbit medicine, od First eddition. BPC wheatons Ltd, Exeter U.K.
20. Haen, P.J. 1995. Principles of hematology, 1stedition.Wm. C. Brown Publishers.
21. De Franceschi, L. Brugnara, C. and Beuzard, Y. 1997. Dietary magnesium supplementation ameliorates anemia in mouse model of B-thalasemia, Blood, 90, 1283-1290.
22. Macdougall, L.C. 1999. The role of ACE inhibitors and angiotensin ll receptors blockers in the response to erythropoiten, Nephrol. Dial. Transplant, 14 (8), 1836-1841.
23. Rodgers, K.E. Xiong, S. Steer, R. diZerega, G.S. 2000. Effect of angiotensin II on hematopoietic progenitor cell ploriferation, Stem Cells, 18, 287-294.
24. Rodgers, K.E. Xiong, S. Steer, R. and diZerega, G.S. 2000. Effect of angiotensin II on hematopoietic progenitor cell proliferation, Stem cell, 18(4), 287-94.
25. Krinke, G.J. 2000. The labrotary rat. Academic press. A Harcourt Scienceand technology company San Diego, USA.
26. Cervenka, L. Kamer, H.J. Maly, j. and Heller, J. 2001. Role of nNOS in regulation of renal function in Angiotensin II-induced hypertension, Hypertension, 38(2), 280-285.
27. Alvarez, A. and Sanz, M. 2001. Reactive oxygen species mediate angiotensin II- induced leukocyte- endothelial cell interactions invivo, Journal of Leukocyte Biologyvol, 70, 2, 199-206.
28. Han, T.H. Hyduke, D.R. Vaughn, M.W. Fukuto, J.M. Liao, J.C. 2002. Nitric oxide reaction with red blood cells and hemoglobin –under heterogenous condition, PNAS, 99(11), 7763–7768.
29. Cheng, Z.J. 2002. Angiotensin-induced inflammation and vascular dysfunction, Academic dissertation. University of Helsinki.
30. Swaminathan, R. 2003. Magnesium metabolism and its disorders, ClinBiochem, Rev 24, 47–66.
31. Swaminathan, R. 2003. Magnesium metabolism and its disorders, ClinBiochem Rev: 24: 47-66.
32. Namakkal, S.R. Niranjali, S.D. and Halagowder, D. 2004. Modulation of rat erythrocyte antioxidant defence system by buthioinesulfoximine and its reversal by glutathyion monoester therapy, NBiochimicaetBiophysicaActa (BBA) - Molecular Basis of Disease, 2 (2), Pages 121–129.
33. Gyuton, A.C. Hall, J.E. 2006. Text book of medical physiology, W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia.
34. Carmine, S. and Ernesto, L.S. 2006. Inflammation and hypertension, Nephrology and Hypertension, 15, 152–158.
35. Sontia, B. and Touyz, R.M. 2007. Role of magnesium in hyepertension, Role. Arch BiochemBiophys,.458:,33-39.
36. Song, Y. Li, T.Y. Van R.M. Manson, G.E. and Hu, F.B. 2007. Magnesium intake and plasma concentration of markers of systematic inflammation and endothelial dysfunction in women, American journal of clinical nutrition, 85(4), 1068-1074.
37. King, D.E. Mainous, A.G. Geesey, M.E. and Ellis, T. 2007. magnesium intake and serum C-reactive leels in children, Magnes Res, 20:32– 6.
38. Cinar, V. Nizamlioglu, M. Mogulko, R. and Balataci, A. 2007.
39. Adrogue, H.J. and Madias. N.E. 2007. Sodium and potassium in pathogenesis of hypertension, N. Engl. J. Med, 356, 1966-1978.
40. Rigsby, C.R. Polloock, D.M. and Dorrance, A.M. 2008. Dietary potassium supplementation improves vascular structure and ameliorates the damage caused by cerebral ischemia in normotensive rats, Nutrition and Metabolism , 5(3), 1-7.
41. Mark, C. Houston, M.D. Karen, J. Harper, M.S and Pharm, D. 2008. Potassium, magnesium and calcium: their role in both the cause and treatment of hypertension, Journal of clinical hypertension, 10., 7.
42. Bivol, L.M. Berge, R.K and Iversen, B.M. 2008. Tetradecyltioacetic acid prevents the inflammatory response in two-kidney, one clip hypertension, American journal of physiology- regulatory, integrative and comparative physiology, 294(2), 438-447.
43. Varga- Szabo, D. Braun, A. and NieswaI, E. 2009. Calcium signalling in platelets, Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, 7, 1057–1066.
44. Moslehi, N. Vafa, M. Golestan, B. Foroushani, A.R. 2012. Effects of oral magnesium supplementation on inflammatory markers in middle aged over weghit women, J Res Med Sci,17(7), 607–614.
45. Maha and Rabe. 2012. Angiotensin and renal ischemia/reperfusion: possible modulation by L-carnitine, Bulletin of Faculty of Pharmacy, Cairo University, Pages 7–16
46. Zhan, Y. Chen, R. Zheng, W. GuoCh Lu, L.,J. Chi, Z. Yu, J. 2014. Association between serum magnesium and anemia: china health and nutrition survry, Biol Trace Elem Res, 159, 39–45.
47. Chang, Y. and Wei, W. 2015. Angiotensin II in inflammation, immunity and rheumatoid arthritis, ClinExpImmunol, 179(2), 137–145.
48. Yardan, T. Meric, M. Kati, C. Atici, A.G. 2016. Mean platelet volume and mean platelet volume/ platelet count ratio in risk stratification of pulmonary, EMBOLISM.Medicina, online
49. Biff, F.P. 2015. Regulation of potassium hemostasis, CJASN, 10(6), 1050-1060.
At Zanco Journal, we're dedicated to protecting your rights as an author, and ensuring that any and all legal information and copyright regulations are addressed. Whether an author is published with Zanco Journal or any other publisher, we hold ourselves and our colleagues to the highest standards of ethics, responsibility and legal obligation