Greeting in the speech of the Duhok Region
According to the model (Kirdasi -2013)
Greeting is one of the most important topics in linguistics and has a prominent role in pragmatic studies. This research was conducted according to the (Kirdasi -2013) point of view to study the formulas and strategies for using greeting among the inhabitants of the Duhok Region by observing their use of the greeting in (12) different situations. This paper aims to know the percentage of strategies used in each of the selected situations, using the statistical method. The research consists of two chapters. The first chapter spoke about the Greeting, and then dealt with it specifically in pragmatic framework. The second chapter is devoted to apply greeting strategies among the speakers of the Duhok Region.
- Al-Hindawi, F.H. (2017).Pragmatics and Discourse Analysis.Journal of Education and Practice,Vol.8,No.19.
-Almegren, R.( 2017).English as Foreign Language :Speech acts and Greetings by Saudi Learners,Thesis of Doctoral,Universidad de Malaga.
-Austin, J. (1962). How to Do Things with Words. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
-Brown,I,C.(1963). Understanding Other Cultures Englewood Cliffs.N:Prentic Hall.
-Brown, P., & Levinson, S. C. (1987). Politeness: Some universals in language usage (Vol. 4). New York, NY: Cambridge University Press.
- Duranti, A. (1985). Socio–cultural dimensions of discourse. In Van Dijk, T. A. (Ed.), Handbook of Discourse Analysis (pp. 201, 66). London: Academic Press Limited.
-Duranti, A. (1997). Universal and culture–specific properties of greetings. Journal of linguistic anthropology, 7(1), 63–97.
-Ebsworth, M & Bodman,T & Carpenter,M.(1996).Cross-Culture Realization of Greeting in American English in .S.Cass & J.Neu(Eds) Speech Acts Across Culture. Challenges To Communication In second Language(pp.89-107). Berlin:Mounton De Gruyet.
- Goffman, E. (1971). Relations in public: Microstudies of the public order. Harmondsworth, UK: Penguin.
-Ibrahim,A.G.Y, Grimshaw,A.D & Bird,C.S.(1976). Greeting in The Desert. American Ethnologist.vol 3. P 797-824.
-Felecan, D. (2015). Conventional vs unconventional linguistic means of address (Old and new greetings in Romanian). Diacronia, 1, 1-23.
-Firth, J. R. (1972). Verbal and bodily rituals of greeting and parting. In J. S. La Fontaine (Ed.), Interpretation of ritual (pp. 1-38). London, UK: Tavistock.
-Kirdasi, M. I. (2013). "Hello" or "Salaam?" Greetings by Arabs and Americans. National Chiao Tung University.
-Laver, J. (1981). Linguistic routines and politeness in greeting and parting. In F. Coulmas (Ed.), Conversational routine: Explorations in standardised communication situations and prepatterned speech (pp. 289–304). The Hague: Mouton.
-Lakoff, R.(1990). Talking power- The politics of language . New York. Basic Books.
- Madya, S and Others.(2019).English Linguistics and Language Teaching in a Changing Era, Schipholweg, Netherlands.
- Razfar,A and Rumenapp,J,C.(2013).Applying Linguistic in the classroom: A Sociocultural Approach. 1 edition. Routledge. New York & London.
- Rygg, K.(2019).The Semantic and Pragmatic Value of Nerwegian Greetings the last handred years .Maal OG MINNE 1 (2017),Vol.30,No-5045.
- Searle, J. R. (1969). Speech acts: An essay in the philosophy of language. Cambridge University Press.
-Shleykina,G.(2016). The Speech act of Greeting Perfomed by Russian Efl Learners Thesis of Doctoral, Oklahoma State University.
- Song-Cen, C. (1991). Social distribution and development of greeting expressions in China. International Journal of the Sociology of Language, 92, 55-60.
-Wei,L.(2010). The function and Use of Greeting. Canadian Social Science. Vol. 6. No. 4.p57-62.
-Zeff, B B.(2018), Pragmatic Teaching and Japaness Efl Learners, use of Greeting Routines Thesis Of Doctoral .Hokkaido University.
-hinkel E,2011,Handbook of Research in Second Language Teaching and Learning ,Madson Avenue ,New York.
5-Kadhim M Jibreen,2017,The Speech act of Greeting :A Theoretical Reading ,Journal of Kerbala University,Vol. 8,No.1
11-Https: Www.Speak Confident english.Com .
Copyright (c) 2021 Sherzad Sabri Ali
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
At Zanco Journal, we're dedicated to protecting your rights as an author, and ensuring that any and all legal information and copyright regulations are addressed. Whether an author is published with Zanco Journal or any other publisher, we hold ourselves and our colleagues to the highest standards of ethics, responsibility and legal obligation